[Towertalk] Centering mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Centering mast
From: k4zzr@bellsouth.net (David)
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 19:57:01 -0400
I just mounted an M2 Orion 2800 rotator in my new HDX-555 crankup tower.   I
have the tower raising fixture so the tower is tilted horizontal so I can
work on things without having to climb.  Problem is, I'm trying to center my
20' mast inside the 2800's mast clamps but there's so much opposing force
coming from the mast being at horizontal that I can't tell if I'm centered
or not.   I took some weight off with a step ladder at the far end of the
mast but still can't really tell if I'm centered.  The mast actually doesn't
look like it's not coming through the top of the tower straight, but that
could be an opitcal illusion.  I need some advice.   Is there a good way to
make sure the mast is centered thru the tower's thrust bearing and into the
rotator with the mast being horizontal?   Or do I have to raise the tower
(nested) and climb it to work on the mast vertically?   And yes, I know
you're not supposed to climb a crankup tower, but what other solution is
there?

Thanks for the help guys,
David, K4ZZR