[Towertalk] Box forSPG and Lightning protectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Box forSPG and Lightning protectors
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider (N3RR))
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:23:58 -0400
As I read some of the comments/questions about covering the lightning
protection boxes, I'm wondering if consideration was taken into account for
a Single Point Ground (SPG)??

If the lightning protectors are just laying around on the ground, presumably
near the ground rod, and then coax or control cables are just run into the
house without a SPG, what's wrong with this picture?  If that's the
scenario, you're missing a couple layers of protection.

First of all, a SPG box provides the common ground point ensuring no
difference in potential even in the face of lightning.
Secondly, a SPG box made of metal, rather than plastic, provides a Faraday
shield for all wires passing through the metal SPG box.  A plastic box does
not.
Third, a steel box, rather than aluminum, provides a magnetic shield against
magnetic fields (produced by lightning strikes) inducing currents into your
cables then entering the house.

This is pretty basic stuff and needs to be considered when connecting
antennas/rotors/remote switches from towers to your house/shack.

Bill, N3RR