[Towertalk] Box forSPG and Lightning protectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Box forSPG and Lightning protectors
From: kq2m@earthlink.net (Robert Shohet)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 18:34:58 -0400
I think I can summarize the concepts in this discussion as follows:

1) Ground everything at the towers
1 1/2) Have polyphaser protection at the towers
1 3/4) Coil excess coax in a circle, lying flat
    at the base of the tower
2) Have a quality SPG OUTSIDE the shack
3) Connect the tower ground to the SPG
4) Connect the utility/telco ground to the SPG
4 1/2) Have additional polyphaser protection at the SPG OUTSIDE the shack.
5) Have ANOTHER ground panel INSIDE the shack for
    the coax/rotator cables coming from the outside and for the equipment
    ground (strap) at the operating position.  (Quick disconnects useful
here)
6) DISCONNECT ALL EQUIPMENT AND CABLES inside the shack
from each other and from the INSIDE ground panel and
from the a/c outlets when not using them.

Yes, some would prefer to not disconnect things, but it really does help.
My towers having been hit 6 times last year and once this year, I can tell
you
that you reduce the likelihood of damage when everything is disconnected and
the metal
boxes can not touch each other.

7) There are many opinions on what to do and what not to do, some of which
are
based on scientific fact and some on myths and legends -  learn all you can
and
use common sense and REALIZE than no two itch's are the same and no two
stations
are the same.  Ergo, there is no one universal concept of ground that will
work equally well
at all stations.  Overkill is the best way to go when designing a lightning
ground!

73

Bob KQ2M