[Towertalk] Cracked Leg on Rohn 45G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Cracked Leg on Rohn 45G
From: Chuck@dxham.net (Chuck Sudds)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:19:23 -0500
Greetings Towertalkians

I just returned from a good friend of mine's place where we did some tower
work.  Upon a close inspection of his tower, we found a 2 1/2" split on the
inside of one of his Rohn 45G tower legs!  The split appears to have
happened from water in the leg where it froze and expanded.  Other than
this vertical crack, the tower is in great shape and is well guyed and is
definitely NOT overloaded.

Is there anything that he can do to repair this crack (with bracing and
such) to make sure that this leg does not give way?  It is about 3ft from
where the tower goes into the concrete.  We drilled a super-small "weep
hole" in that leg of the tower to see if there was any more trapped
moisture and there was none.  He really would hate to have to dig another
tower hole close by and rent a crane to lift the tower to a new location
right now.  I realize that anything that he can do will not be to Rohn
specs, so we're kind of flying by the seat of our pants here, folks, so ALL
ideas are welcomed.  Thanks and 73.

Chuck  KØTVD