[Towertalk] Cracked Leg on Rohn 45G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Cracked Leg on Rohn 45G
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:00:46 EDT
In a message dated 9/27/02 11:19:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Chuck@dxham.net
writes:

> The split appears to have
>  happened from water in the leg where it froze and expanded.  Other than
>  this vertical crack, the tower is in great shape and is well guyed and is
>  definitely NOT overloaded.

If the tower and problem was mine, I would:

Rust proof the crack (cold galvanizing spray) to prevent any future corrosion.

1. Put bunch of hose clamps close to each other over the length of crack.
This would keep the tubing from "opening up".
I would put couple of hose clamps on the section of the leg between the tower
cross braces as a spacers for thickness. Worms should be facing more-less one
way.

2. Then I would clamp piece of angle iron, length of the tubing between the
braces and put bunch of hose clamps, close to the clamps in step one.

It might be ugly, but should be stronger than other "unrepaired" legs.

Another way is to weld or braze the crack. More elegant way, requires welder
and a skill.

Otherwise do as manufacturer says :-)

Yuri, K3BU