[Towertalk] phillystran 6700#

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] phillystran 6700#
From: billwall@eyecon-solutions.com (Bill Wall)
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 19:03:16 -0400
Hi All:
We have just got through removing a 200' tower with 6700# Phillystran Guys.
This stuff is hard to cut, but tree branches wore through 4 of the guys.
Please be careful about anything coming in contact with this material.
Lately we have experimented with Kelvar rope. It is too soon to tell if this
works. It makes great temp. guys.There are about 8 towers in my area that
are using this rope for guying material. So far no problems. I use aircraft
cable sized to the job for my  towers. For many years I have used a crimping
device that uses aluminum crimp locks and are crimped three times. We use
two per cable end and never had a problem over 20 years. With cable U nut
clips, many have loosened.
                                                                     Hope
this helps,
                                                                       Bill