[Towertalk] Large Ferrite Beads?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Large Ferrite Beads?
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:37:37 -0400
At 9:53 AM +0300 10/9/02, Tõnno Vähk wrote:
>...is it OK to use short toroids instead of beads for balun?

Yes, certainly.  Just keep in mind the smaller choking impedance of a
one-turn "winding" on a "toroid," which is thinner than a "bead."
E.g.:

One "turn" through an FT-140-77 toroidal core (actual measurements
with Autek Research RX Vector Analyst Model VA1):

      Freq.| |Z|  |
      (MHz)|(ohms)|
      -----+------+
       3.5 |  15
      14.0 |  11
      28.0 |  13 angle 33 deg

One "turn" through Fair-Rite p/n 2631102002 (type 31 ferrite) "bead"
(actual measurements again):

      Freq. |  |Z|   | Angle
      (MHz) | (ohms) | (deg)
      ------+--------+--------
         1  |   46   |   58
         2  |   66   |   43
         5  |   84   |
        10  |  112   |   45
        20  |  153   |   40

I'm sorry that I do not have measurements for the same ferrite types
or the same frequencies.  You can interpolate frequencies, though.

I would prefer not to use either type 31 or type 77 in a choke balun
for HF, especially for high power, because they are rather lossy so
they would get hot.  Type 43 would be better, and type 61 (or 63??)
better yet; however the lower-loss materials also have less impedance.

>Does it make the balun any less efficient when threre are 20-30
>toroids instead of 4-5 beads??

If the impedance is the same, then the balun will be just as efficient.

73 de Chuck, W1HIS