[Towertalk] More crankup questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] More crankup questions
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:23:17 -0700
> 1. U.S.Towers indicated that the contact between the sections is probably
> not good enough
> to use the tower as a vertical (or as part of a half-sloper).  How do
> people overcome this?

        [Steve Katz]  I've run a heavy-gauge braided conductor inside the
tower, from the top to the bottom, to parallel the tower.  The only risk in
doing so is that when bringing the tower down on a windy day, it's possible
that the braided conductor gets pinched in webbing, which can damage the
braid or stop the tower from retracting, or both; but since I watch the
tower while it's going up or down, that hasn't happened yet.  And the
braid's so heavy that gravity alone makes it fall pretty much in a straight
line, down inside the tower.  (I think I used 1" diameter copper cable, it
weighs quite a lot.)

> 2. They recommend the coax stand-off arms for getting cables to the top.
> do not see these
> stand-off arms in most photos of crankups.  Does everyone use them?

        [Steve Katz]  I think most people do.  I do, almost always, except
for very temporary setups.

>  What
> are other ways
> of getting various cables to the top such that there is not a problem when
> cranking down the
> tower?

        [Steve Katz]  The standoff arms are a good and inexpensive solution.
Why not just use them?  -WB2WIK/6