[Towertalk] More crankup questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] More crankup questions
From: ve6wz@shaw.ca (VE6WZ)
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 16:39:47 -0600
Bill:
> 1. U.S.Towers indicated that the contact between the sections is probably
> not good enough
> to use the tower as a vertical (or as part of a half-sloper).  How do
> people overcome this?

I do not agree with this.  I have shunt feed my US tower 89' crankup as-is
with no problem for three years....is there connection loss? I doubt it.
The sections may have grease on them but I'm sure there is fair electrical
connection, also look at all the steel cables on each section, as well as
the positive pull down cable running from top to bottom. Not to mention the
coax feed from top to bottom.  Seems like lots of electrical redundancy to
me.

> 2. They recommend the coax stand-off arms for getting cables to the top.
> do not see these
> stand-off arms in most photos of crankups.  Does everyone use them?  What
> are other ways
> of getting various cables to the top such that there is not a problem when
> cranking down the
> tower?

 Forget the coax arms.  Just stand-off the coax at the top about three feet
and let it "hang" to the bottom....again....no problem for three years.  The
bundle of RG-8, and two rotor and switch box control lines support their own
weight with no "carrier cable" which others have used.  My tower is cranked
down except when QRV so it goes up and down many times every week....no
problem the coax bundle just piles up on the ground.

gl, de steve VE6WZ  http://www.qsl.net/ve6wz/