[Towertalk] RE: 40M 4 Sq vs. 2 el Yagi at 70 ft

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] RE: 40M 4 Sq vs. 2 el Yagi at 70 ft
From: kq2m@earthlink.net (Robert Shohet)
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 13:33:36 -0400
Hi Guys,

I have had a 40-2cd @ 120', a 3 L wire beam @ 50' and a wire 4-square for
the past
4 years - before that I had the 3 L wire beam and wire 4 square for 3 more
years.
I use all three antennas on a regular basis and can switch instantly between
them with a
WX0B stackmaster.

The 4-square (with elevated radials) has excellent F/B and F/S and is kept
in
place with ropes at all positions (to keep the array in a square shape at
the proper
distances) BUT, in 7 years of all kinds of cndx, contests and general
operating, it has NEVER
been better than the wire beam or the 40-2cd when they
are all in the same direction! (Northeast)

On rare occasions, the 4-square is almost equal but usually is about 6 - 12
db weaker than
the wire beam and the 40-2cd.
.
The 4-square has THREE significant advantages:

1) Instant directional switching - this is a BIGGIE!
2) Generally quieter antenna (less qrn)
3) Better F/S and the F/B so better S/N ratio for really weak guys.

The 40-2CD and Wire Beam are definitely LOUDER both on receive and
txmit in the desired direction.

So, to summarize, in my experience, a 4 square CAN NOT and SHOULD NOT
be used in place of a decent 40 meter beam unless there is no other option.
Likewise, a properly designed and installed 40 meter beam will usually kill
a 4-square
in a pileup when both are oriented in the same direction.

I like using both, each for its own advantages and I recommend using both if
possible.
WC1M and I have discussed, many times, the difference between 4-squares and
beams on 40
and after several humbling experiences (with rates 1/2 of guys with beams),
Dick, WC1M
came to the same conclusion.

73

Bob KQ2M