[Towertalk] An idea...oh boy

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] An idea...oh boy
From: jhisson1@columbus.rr.com (Jason Hissong)
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 19:44:28 -0400
Hi guys,

I talked it over with the XYL and she said she does not care what I do
(within limits).  She says just let her know when I am done!!!  (After
all... she gets the kitchen she always wanted!! hehehehe)

After researching this alternative more, it seems that doing a roof tower
would be just fine.  One of my concerns was drilling into the roof.  When I
move someday, I did not know how that would affect the roof.  Then I
remembered that I have extra shingles from when we had the new roof put on.
I have access to my attic (no problems there).  No concrete to worry about
(unless I mounted this thing on the ground).

I think I may put this on my garage.  The garage is only 5 feet lower than
my house.  And the garage attic is way more accessible than my attic.  The
garage is 14.9' high.  If I go with the 26' Roof tower, that would put my
antenna at 40'!  Which is what I would have wanted anyway!  Of course, the
only issue would be that I would be limited to 9ft2 of antenna space.  I
could go with a 17.5' on my house and that would put the antennas at about
36.9 feet.  The antenna area would be increased as well.  I would be able to
go with a C4SXL with that puppy!  (Of course, will having a 40 Meter beam at
36.9 feet be effective over a dipole at the same height?)

I could go with the 26' on the house and that would put the antenna at 45'.
Would the extra 9' make a difference? (At the expense of 300.00 and lower
wind load).

I already have an MQ1 from TGM Communications that I can upgrade to an MQ34
for about 400.00.  But for 550.00, I could get a Force 12 C3SS!!  I also
have an 11 element 2M beam that I can use for FM simplex.

Now, to find out what the city has to say about this... heheheheheh
Thanks guys!

Jason Hissong
N8XE