[Towertalk] An idea...oh boy

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] An idea...oh boy
From: jhisson1@columbus.rr.com (Jason Hissong)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 08:18:36 -0400
Jon,

> IMHO, a 40M beam would not do all that well that low.  But a small beam
for
> the upper bands would work just fine at 36 feet.

That seems to be the consensus.  I think I will just stick to my 40M dipole
for 40M.

> Personally, I would go with the 17.5' on the house.  The nine feet you get
> with the 26 foot tower probably doesn't buy you that much for the cost and
> decreased wind load.  Plus that's just a big structure to have on your
roof!

Hehehe... I see.  The difference in my mind is an Elecraft K1!! HIHI

> As for the attic access, as long as you have enough room up there to get
> some long 2x6's or 2x10's you'll be fine.  You'll need to put some long
> boards across your roof joists to spread the tower load and provide
> reinforcement.  And now is the perfect time of year to do attic work as
> compared to July!  Talk to me off-line if you want more details about
> mounting the sucker.

Will do.  I would have no problems accessing either attic.  Getting to the
house attic is simply a matter of dismantling the closet shelves which I
have done before (and with a DeWalt drill, it will be much easier this time
:)

> > I already have an MQ1 from TGM Communications that I can upgrade to an
MQ34
> > for about 400.00.  But for 550.00, I could get a Force 12 C3SS!!  I also
> > have an 11 element 2M beam that I can use for FM simplex.
>
> I thought you were a "casual" operator!  :-)

I bought the MQ1 and the 2M beam for 100.00 from a local ham.  I may not end
up using the MQ1 though... anybody want it? :)

> > Now, to find out what the city has to say about this... heheheheheh
> > Thanks guys!
>
> That I wouldn't do.  Just put it up.  The fact is they will likely never
say
> anything.  It's not a "permanent" structure or modification.  If they do
say
> something, you apologize and pay whatever fine they have (generally twice
> the permit application fee).  They might want to inspect it then so no big
> deal.  But if they say, "No" from the get go then you are screwed.
>
> Tis better to beg forgiveness than to seek permission.

Too late as the city knows I was planning to put up a tower.  So I guess I
am screwed.  (Actually, the city has been pretty easy on hams.  I just have
to pay 100.00 and wait for a variance hearing.  Two hams put up towers in my
neighborhood and they got approved.  One is a 65 foot 45G!!)

73,

Jason
N8XE