[Towertalk] leaky PVC

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] leaky PVC
From: steve@oakcom.com (Steve Maki)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:02:19 -0400
I'm trying to get a handle on this concept of PVC jackets
not being waterproof, to no avail so far. I can certainly
accept that there are materials better suited for direct burial
coax jackets but always thought it was mainly a toughness
issue.

When I was in the residential satellite business we thought
nothing of running regular PVC cable across a stream (underwater)
when the situation called for it. AFAIK, those lines never
developed problems.

Later we started using flooded cables, but mainly as insurance,
not because of trouble with the regular ones.

PVC is made into boots, rain gear, plumbing, and hundreds of
other things that require water-tightness. Is the PVC used in
coax so different that it allows water molecules to pass right
through? My preliminary Web searches have turned up nothing
that would shed any real light on the subject.

TIA,

--
Steve K8LX