[Towertalk] RE:coax in PVC

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] RE:coax in PVC
From: brewerj@squared.com (brewerj@squared.com)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:42:28 -0400
Carl mentions:

>This summer I replaced some coax that runs through about 21' of  "sealed PVC"
>between my tower and house.  As I pulled the coax out I noted that it was
>completely dry. Of course I still use direct bury cable "just in case" ! The
>cable had been in the PVC about 13 years.

I've had the same experience, except my run was about 70'. There's about a 2'
slope from one end of the other, and at the LOW end, rather than just installing
an elbow (or sweep) to bring the pipe to the surface, I installed a "tee" with
one side of the tee pointing up to the surface, and the other into a french
drain
constructed of a bucket full of rocks (and with holes in the bottom).

When I pulled all the cable out,it was dry as a bone....I can assure you
that the air in central North Carolina is anything but dry! The pipe
is under a watered lawn, and is only about 6' deep. The cable has been
in the pipe for about 4 years.

The cable I used was merely RG8, and my pipe was "sealed" with pieces of
rag stuffed in the ends where the coax and rotor line enter and leave
in order to keep insects and mammals out of the pipe.

YMMV
John wb5oau/4