[Towertalk] Coax recommendations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Coax recommendations
From: spelunk.sueno@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 11:48:47 -0400
Gents:

     Water WILL get into any kind of conduit system that the average amateur
can construct.  In that case you will have to deal with the accumulated
water.  For my 50+ foot long conduit system, I drilled a few half-inch
diameter holes in the underside of the PVC conduit at the low points in the
conduit run.  Underneath these holes I dug a small pit (maybe 8 inches
square by six inches deep) and filled the pits with broken concrete bits
from the tower base pour.  You can also use gravel.  I covered the PVC at
the holes with weed screen (keeps the weeds down in flower beds) and tied
the screen in place with solid #14 wire ties.  In this way any water that
finds its way into the conduit system (usually through aspiration from damp
weather) is drained out at the low points into the pits where it will
percolate its way back into the ground.

     An advantage of having a conduit system, even with DB type jacketing on
the cables, is you can fairly easily add, change or delete coax without
digging and running the risk of damaging the previousy-direct buried cables.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F