[Towertalk] Repairing Fiberglass Verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Repairing Fiberglass Verticals
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 23:48:42 -0500
Hi gang,

Today while picking up my repaired FT-1000D at AES, I came across a couple
of steals at their surplus or "honor" table.  Both were antennas.  One was a
Cushcraft 19 element 432 Yagi (719B) that I picked up for $25.  Not bad.
The other was a Comet GP-9 2m/432 vertical.  That I got for $5.00.

Upon looking at the Comet antenna this evening I found out why it was $5.00.
The body of the antenna is fiberglass tube with a wire element running up
the "tube".  It comes in three sections and is simply a monster (something
like 17 feet in total length).  The very top section is broken about 3 or 4
inches from the top.  I have all the pieces and it looks like I could get
them back together w/o too much trouble.  The top section is also cracked a
bit too.  The other parts of the antenna are in fine shape.

So what is the best way to repair this guy?  A new one would cost about $200
so it's worth it to try whatever if I get a working antenna.  Would I be
better off contacting Comet to see if they can sell me a new upper section?
Or can I epoxy the pieces back together, etc.  I am just wondering what the
best way to do that is.  Am I going to suffer any problems with strenght,
etc?

Thanks es 73,

Jon
NA9D