[Towertalk] guying tolerance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] guying tolerance
From: Mark <AA6DX@pacbell.net> (Mark)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:55:53 -0700
That is like asking  "HOW HIGH IS UP?"  ...   actually, this is called
AMATEUR RADIO, so, within reason, go for it .. I have never had a problem
with falling down tower(s)  from using the 50% rule, and then just modifying
it -- within reason -- to fit the available real estate and guying
possibilities.  BUT  .. be careful with that idea of using stronger
(heavier?) guys, and supports.. that's not necessarily the way to go ..
heavy guys put more stress on the structure, and get the up/down pulls on
the tower out of whack moreso than your guying angle .. .. .. Use common
sense,  and be sure to have an understanding of the actual pulls on the
tower .. UP, AND DOWN-- note, stress on the UP leg of tower transfers to the
DOWN side .. check the info from the available sources, ask  our resident
tower guru .. This guy is SAVVY!   73, and .. STICK IT UP !!  Mark .. AA6DX