[Towertalk] Phillystran

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Phillystran
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 17:45:39 -0600
On Mon, 28 Oct 2002  "Dale L Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org> writes:

        SNIP

> (Fellow TT'ers, please correct me if I'm misspeaking here)
>
> From reading the threads about using Phillystran, my understanding
> is to use 5'-10' of EHS from the tower guy point, then do the philly to
about
> 10 or 15 feet above the ground, and finish with EHS.

NEVER place the first insulator over 5 ft from the top of a tower.

Remember, there is continuity from the insulator, *through* the
tower, to the first insulator on the other guys.  (e.g. 5+1+5 ft =
11 ft which is the MAXIMUM 'invisible' length on 10M).  IF
an insulator is placed 10 ft down from the top, you have a nice
15M DIRECTOR (10+1+10 = 21 ft) right UNDER your antenna.
NOT a good idea.

Tom  N4KG

> As you work on the tower moving things around (antennas, wires,
> etc.),
> dropping tools, and otherwise making physical contact with the guys,
> it will
> be with the EHS portion and not the philly, which can be easily
> damaged.
>

> 73,
> dale, kg5u

Only $9.95 per month!