[Towertalk] Re: Counterweights for wire verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Counterweights for wire verticals
From: Ward Silver" <hwardsil@centurytel.net (Ward Silver)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 06:15:27 -0000
The most memorable counterweight I've ever seen was a large filament =
transformer - gotta do something with them, I guess...

On the subject of water and bleach jugs - I've found that these don't do =
well out in the sun for more than a couple seasons.  They'll eventually =
fail catastrophically, all the ballast falls out, the rope flies up, and =
the antenna falls down, usually at the worst possible time. =20

You'd do well to either use UV resistant buckets or jugs (not that I =
know where you're going to get them), replace them regularly, or have a =
slack piece of tie rope acting to keep the load bearing rope from =
disappearing rapidly in the vertical direction when the inevitable =
happens.  Maybe you could also paint the jug black to protect it.

Or maybe you could just use a filament transformer.

73, Ward N0AX

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---