[Towertalk] Grips vs. Clamps (was Huh?!?)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Grips vs. Clamps (was Huh?!?)
From: n2mg@eham.net (Mike Gilmer, N2MG)
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 09:05:39 -0400
NA9D wrote:
 The grips are certainly easier and quicker.

N4ZR wrote:
 And don't have to be retightened...

This is important for connections where you do not have access -
such as wraps around insulators way out in the middle of a guy wire.
Perhaps experts can tighten clamps properly THE FIRST TIME to
prevent them from loosening, but there are damned few of those people
(and none in my house) working on ham towers!

IMO, grips' biggest drawback is that they can only be reused within
narrow limits.  Practically, they cannot be "reused" in what most
would consider the classic meaning of the term - only "adjusted" during
or soon after initial assembly.  Other than the bottommost grip,
however, one should never really have to "adjust".

I would vigorously try to talk anyone considering the options, OUT of
using clamps and INTO using grips.

Mike N2MG