[Towertalk] Antenna Wind Area Calculation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Antenna Wind Area Calculation
From: spelunk.sueno@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:04:15 -0500
Roger:

     I have a GP-15 on top of my mast.  I couldn't find area figures either
so I calculated it myself.  The fiberglass covering is about seven feet tall
and 3/4 inch diamter.  "Shadow area", therefore, is 84 X 0.75 = 63 sqin /
144 =  about 0.5 sqft.  Multiply by the shape factor for long cylindrical
objects in a wind stream (here comes the controversy!) of 1.2 and you get
about 0.6 sqft.

     If you want to antagonize yourself, measure or calculate the "shadow
area" of the KT-34 elements and boom and traps  (Length X diameter for each
trap and section of tubing)  and see if you come anywhere to that 6 sqft
figure that the manufacturer advertises.  This reflector ran through a
series of postings last summer (and possibly many times previous) on just
what do these wind area dimensions found in spec sheets mean.  I'm not sure
we ever settled the issue; in that case I just recalculated my antennas'
figures as above (a very conservative approach) and used them in my
tower/mast design.

     I sleep well as a result.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F
BTW my tower is a self-supporting Trylon T-500-64, rated at 45 sqft (???) of
wind loading within two feet of the tower top.