[Towertalk] RE: Double protection - climbing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] RE: Double protection - climbing
From: K4BEV@aol.com (K4BEV@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:01:45 EST
In a message dated 12/17/02 17:25:44 Central Standard Time,
dick.green@valley.net writes:

> Second, the text talks about making your own cowtails from climbing static
> line, and they really should be fall-arrest lanyards.

Hi Dick,
I respectfully disagree with the above statement. I use the cowtail method.
The cowtails are not fall-arrest lanyards, but rather short regular rope.
Mine are tied to the front D-Ring and are just long enough to reach the next
rung.
When climbing I put the fall-arrest lanyard as high as I can get it and climb
to it using the cowtails. Then move the FAL up again and repeat. This way I'm
always tied to the tower by at least two lanyards. I also ALWAYS maintain a
personal 3 point connection to the tower until I put the positioning lanyards
to use. They don't go around the tower, but through it. One on either hip to
the opposite hip. The cowtails are usually still attached too if I'm not
going to be moving around a lot. But when I do move I use them till I'm in
place.
If I loose my footing I assure you I'm not going to fall very far, and I'm
not going to be caught by 1 hip either.

73 and be safe,
Don - K4BEV

multipart/alternative