[Towertalk] Knots

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Knots
From: bjk@ihug.co.nz (Barry Kirkwood)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 15:55:29 +1300
By all means use bowlines on lanyards etc for tower work. I often do =
myself.
But I humbly suggest you tape the tail to the standing part.
Extra half hitches may not be adequate to stop a bowline untying itself =
if it is flopping about on the end of a lanyard made from stiff =
synthetic line.
The issues are not simply about the strength of the knot but include the =
type of line, the ability to tie the knot without making errors under =
pressure, the likelihood of the knot untying itself with no load, and =
the ability to untie the knot once it has been loaded.
The move to figure 8s (with a variety of tail securing techniques) by =
sport climbers was made for good reasons.
Beware of the Boy Scout manuals. Much of the ancient lore relates to =
hemp ropes and the like which have very different characteristics to =
modern synthetic cordage.
FWIW  I have over 60 years coastal and blue water sailing experience.
73
Barry ZL1DD

end
Barry Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD