[Towertalk] Knots

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Knots
From: n6tqs@arrl.net (n6tqs@arrl.net)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 13:36:13 -0500 (EST)
You're close.  The only problem with a bowline is that if it's under
no load, it tends to loosen.  You can make it more secure in various
ways.  I believe that it is one of the good knots that maintains more
of the strength of the line.  OTOH, the figure-eight loop is easily
tied, even in the middle of the line and seems to stay tight, but
loses more of the inherent line strength, and perhaps as the obverse
of the above, is hard to untie.  Many of us think a knot should be
easily untied.

BTW, I've seen figures that indicate an eye splice is actually
stronger than the line, and a cunt splice is the absolute strongest
way of fastening two laid lines together.  But I still don't know how
to make an eye splice in the braided lines I like.

73, doug