[Towertalk] Ham M slippage?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Ham M slippage?
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 10:50:22 -0600
I *believe* the brake wedges in the HAM-M are 'rounded',
sort of like a bunch of 'speed bumps' around the base of
the rotor on the inside.  The brake wedge fits between those
bumps.  If you have a high torque antenna (long boom,
large area antenna), the wedge can be dragged over those
bumps, wearing them down.  A new rotor bottom cover
might (temporarily) solve the problem.  A permanent fix
would be a rotor with a stronger brake such as the tailtwister
(which has it's own problems...the brake wedge tends to jam
in the Square brake bumps).  I'm not sure if the HAM IV
has higher 'bumps' than a HAM-M.  Perhaps the Rotor Doc
or Norm's can tell you.

73 / GL,  Tom  N4KG