[Towertalk] Knots for Guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Knots for Guys
From: shr@ricc.net (W0UN--John Brosnahan)
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 09:20:48 -0600
Jerry/Bruce--

Never use knots for Phillystran!  And the Delrin block is "just OK"
for a top boom guy--but NEVER should be used to structurally
hold up a tower.

For such a small tower (40ft of aluminum) if you really want to
use knots--then go to a Dacron rope--ideally a braided rope
such as these ropes--

http://www.samsonrope.com/products/M&I/2in1stablebraiddb.htm

Certainly more stretch than Philly--but not a problem.  I had
a 40 ft aluminum tower with a triband quad up for many years
with this kind of rope.   And this was in Colorado with lots of
100+ mph winds.  I would suggest going to 3/8 inch as a
minimum--just better to work with.

--John   W0UN