[Towertalk] Big Grip or Guy-Grip - #2

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Big Grip or Guy-Grip - #2
From: rmurad@superig.com.br (Roger)
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 01:26:57 +0000
Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry about Big Grips X Guy Grips. As I
could understand, there are still Big Grips available in the USA market for
3/16" wire rope, but they are not currently listed in the PLP documents
found at their WEB site. Maybe PLP is going to discontinue BG below 1/2"?
This is what their PDF let me suppose...

A much more complicated matter (at least for me) follows.
My wire rope has diameter 3/16", is galvanized, EHS, 6 strands of 7 wires
each (6 X 7). The strands are laid to the right and the individual wires
(inside the strands) are laid to the left. This lay direction is known as
"Right Hand Regular Lay". For better description of this classification,
see http://www.parallaxmetals.com/wirepage2.html

When describing Big Grips and Guy Grips, the PLP documents say "Left hand
lay standard" and also say "Big-Grip dead-ends must have the same lay direction
as the strand to which they are applied."

So,
1 - why the PLP standard is "left hand lay direction" if most wire rope
types are right hand laid?
2 - which lay direction must be matched: the lay direction of the strands
or the lay direction of the wires within the strands?

I've E-Mailed PLP but the reply I got was completely worthless (the
respondent simply asked me to call him by phone... and I am in Brazil).
73 de Roger - PY1OL