[Towertalk] Big Grip or Guy-Grip - #2

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Big Grip or Guy-Grip - #2
From: n2mg@eham.net (Mike Gilmer, N2MG)
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 06:38:27 -0500
Roger,

As I told you privately, the photo you sent me of your guy wire is not of
any EHS I've ever seen - it appears to be what we often call aircraft cable.
EHS is quite stiff and "whippy" - it will not lay on the ground like a rope
in gentle curves, but rather tries very hard to lay straight.  It also comes
in coils/spools of much greater diameter than comparable aircraft cable.

The 2 questions at the bottom of your post are confirmation, IMO, that you
fo NOT have EHS cable and therefore, PLP's grips cannot be used:

1) Most EHS (ALL that I've seen) is left hand lay and that's what the grips
are designed for.
2) EHS is made up of 7 solid strands, and not 7 strands of 32 wires each
(for example) so the lay of the strands vs the lay of the wires is not an
issue.

I suspect that if you believe that "most wire rope types are right hand
laid" that you have never seen the type of EHS we are accustomed to in the
US.

73 Mike N2MG