[TowerTalk] Coax cables

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax cables
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Thu Feb 6 12:04:58 2003
Hi John,

Amphenol has made the 83-1SP with a silver-plated body for more than 40
years and it cost less than one dollar, and is available from their entire
distribution channel, which is massive.  In light of that, I cannot imagine
any reason to use #2, #3 or #4.

I think the #4 types you refer to are foreign made.

If you buy 25 connectors at a time from Cable XPerts or The RF Connection
(and probably elsewhere), you can get the silver-plated, Teflon-dielectric
PL-259's (American made and very good) for between $.95 and $1.00 each.

Any time I see anyone using any other type I cringe.

Although, I can use the Amphenol Astro-Plated ones (very shiny nickel) just
fine, as long as I am "home," and use them in my shop.  The Astro Plate
finish takes solder very well if it's elevated to about 500 degrees F and
scrubbed (not filed, not sanded -- scrubbing is done with the soldering
instrument, as solder is applied).  Takes only a second or two with a 900W
industrial resistance soldering station, which I have.  But I can't take
that to the top of a tower.....

WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill