[TowerTalk] Coax cables

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax cables
From: j.a.hermans@skynet.be (j.a.hermans)
Date: Sun Feb 9 12:41:38 2003
Hi Steve,

As we can state the discussion on coax connectors is still going on. It is a
good and important subject beause it seems a simple matter, but It sure
is'nt.
Just had a look at an older  AMP mil-spec. cat.
Surprised they dont talk about PL types.......should there be a good raison
there for ?
Something that came back in my mind, and nobody talked about here ( or I
missed it )
are the central pins outer dimension of the N-type as a function of
characteristic Impedance of the cable.
 RG213/U  50 Ohm  pin diam. = 2.25 millimeters.
 RG216/U  75 Ohm  pin diam. = 1.20 millimeters.
Mix them up in a system, and one can start fault finding for several hours
maybe days.........
So take care when mounting connectors on coax cables. As I said before its a
very critical operation, unless you dont care of a couple of decibels of
losses or some intermittend functioning gear. Personally never tried to send
a Kilowatt thru such a set up. But I can imagine that the solder will melt
rapidly.
There is a long way to go from " envelope increaser " to a stable " coax
connection ".....
Jos on4kj