[TowerTalk] 40 meter antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40 meter antennas
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu Apr 3 12:48:45 2003
At 11:11 AM 4/3/03 -0600, Tim Duffy K3LR wrote:
>I know there were a few west coast guys working on high Q coil
>replacements for the Cushcraft antenna, but I believe the efficiency
>gain would be hard to measure in the real world environment and may not
>be worth the cost and effort.

I wonder if anyone is doing anything similar for the Force 12
EF-240S/C-4XL/C-4 series antennas -- anything that uses the EF-140S
dipole.  It strikes me that substitution of coils (plus cap hats?) for the
current linear loading could be a real plus in "plug-and-play-ness."  Best
would be different coils for the reflector and driven element, so that the
element construction wouldn't have to be messed with.  I assume that a
Phillystran truss using the existing uprights would be a necessity if this
were done.

73, Pete N4ZR