[TowerTalk] CC D40

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] CC D40
From: N4KG@aol.com (N4KG@aol.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 12:33:49 2003
Cushcraft has done the tuning for you.  Just use the supplied dimensions for
CW or SSB or mid-band.  My CC 2L40 is tuned for CW and works like a champ!
My *guess* is that you need to get a dipole at least 1/4 WL above ground for
resonance to be reasonably independent. Note that IMPEDANCE will vary with
height.

To reduce SAG, insert the next smaller size tubing in the first section of
each element half.  This will raise the wind rating from >70 mph to >90 mph.
My CC
2L40 survived a small tornado that took out two 75 year old hardwoods and
dozens of younger 80 ft trees (estimated winds 80 to 90 mph).

Tom  N4KG

Just got a Cushcraft D40 to go on top of my Steppir at around 75'.  A few
novice questions.

First, trying to tune it prior to installation.  A few feet above the
ground, it's resonance is 6.8mhz, about 8feet (on one tv antenna pole) it's
resonance is 7.00 mhz when it is set per instructions to the length
indicated for 7.140 (mid-point).  How high do I need to get it to get a
realiztic read on it's resonance point?

Second question, the instructions say, no foam coax for the balun, why is
this?  All I had handy in my shack was RG-8x, which I think is the foam
type...

Third question, can someone send me a photo of how they re-inforced the ends
of the elements to reduce sag?

Thanks, Michael  K3MH