[TowerTalk] Guyed self-supporters (was "Concrete suggestions")

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guyed self-supporters (was "Concrete suggestions")
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Fri Apr 18 13:44:53 2003
Guy, that was a great discussion -- thanks.

When I think of "self supporting," my first thoughts go to crank-ups, since
those are the only self-supporting towers I've ever owned.  Even the
crank-ups are very rigid, and the only movement is the slop between sections
which results in maybe 1/4" lateral play if you shift your body weight a lot
while fooling around up there.  It never occurred to me to guy any of my
crank-ups, but of course they can also be cranked down if the winds become
extreme.

With 12,000 lbs of concrete at the base of my crank-up, tipping over is
something that is about as likely as the house blowing away.  They'd
probably occur simultaneously during the next nuclear windstorm...

WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill