[TowerTalk] Choice of antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Choice of antennas
From: yo3ctk@alltrom.ro (yo3ctk)
Date: Wed Apr 23 12:10:59 2003
I'm in the process of building a medium performance station dedicated to
contesting. Transceiver and amplifier already purchased (MP V Field and
AL-800H), in process of acquiring a 24 m (78 ft) tower with an antenna load
capability of 1.30 sqm (14 sq ft) @ 160km/h (100 mph). I would like to ask for
your collectve wisdom as to the best choice of new, modern antenna(s) for the
setup above, with following criteria:

1. Coverage: 10-40 m (80 and 160 will be covered by wires and/or verticals).
Not interested in WARC bands.
2. Performance: min. 3 real el/band (2 el/band for 40 m). Single antenna
preferred.
3. Size: According to tower capabilities. Max. boom length 10 m (30 ft)
4. Best weather survivability with min. maintenance and easy install
5. Price: although not the limiting factor, reasonable priced

As far as I can see, the only real contenders may be Force 12 C4XL or SXL or
Cushcraft X9 or X7 combined with an XM240.

Any other ideas, anyone? To which one your preference would go? Thanks,

73 de Mike, YO3CTK