[TowerTalk] Choice of antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Choice of antennas
From: howk2@hotmail.com (Howard Klein)
Date: Wed Apr 23 13:52:47 2003
Mike,
I am currently removing a stack of X-9's which have served admirably for a
stack of SteppIR 4 elements. The X-9's were (and are) great. I believe I can
surpass them with the 4 El SteppIRs partricularly for my purposes.
73,
Howard..K2HK

----Original Message Follows---- From: "yo3ctk" yo3ctk@alltrom.ro To:
towertalk@contesting.com CC: yo3ctk yo3ctk@alltrom.ro Subject: [TowerTalk]
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Choice of antennas Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:10:29 +0300
I'm in the process of building a medium performance station dedicated to
contesting. Transceiver and amplifier already purchased (MP V Field and
AL-800H), in process of acquiring a 24 m (78 ft) tower with an antenna load
capability of 1.30 sqm (14 sq ft) @ 160km/h (100 mph). I would like to ask
for your collectve wisdom as to the best choice of new, modern antenna(s)
for the setup above, with following criteria:
1. Coverage: 10-40 m (80 and 160 will be covered by wires and/or verticals).
Not interested in WARC bands. 2. Performance: min. 3 real el/band (2 el/band
for 40 m). Single antenna preferred. 3. Size: According to tower
capabilities. Max. boom length 10 m (30 ft) 4. Best weather survivability
with min. maintenance and easy install 5. Price: although not the limiting
factor, reasonable priced
As far as I can see, the only real contenders may be Force 12 C4XL or SXL or
Cushcraft X9 or X7 combined with an XM240.
Any other ideas, anyone? To which one your preference would go? Thanks,
73 de Mike, YO3CTK