[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 4, Issue 62 - Lubricants for crank-up

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 4, Issue 62 - Lubricants for crank-up tower cables.
From: W1GOR@Maine.RR.Com (W1GOR)
Date: Sat May 3 08:59:44 2003
Mel,

I did some research about cable lubricants and found a several good
products.

One product, named GEAROPE, is made by Kano Labs.
Contact them at http://www.kanolabs.com/
Gearope Gear and Cable Lubricant is sold in liquid form, and in spray cans
Gearope aerosol - $7.50 ea.
Gearope aerosol - a case of 12 - $73.20 ea. ($6.10 per can)
Gearope 1 gal.size - $41.00 ea.  This gallon can could be divided and put
into small containers and sold at your next radio club flea market, or given
to club members when they renew their memberships).

I've used this product and I clamp (clothes pin) a cellulose sponge, soaked
with Gearope, around the cable, and then cycle the tower up and down
several times to spread the liquid throughout the cable.   I've determined
that this method works best for my applications.  Spray cans tend to have
too much over-spray, resulting in considerable waste unless you can find an
application method to control the spray.

The other product is PreLube 6 Cable Lubricant, and is sold by Champion
Radio.  .
Contact them at: http://www.championradio.com/misc.html
PreLube 6 is available in spray cans.  A 12 oz. spray can is $9.50

PreLube 6 Cable Lubricant is excellent for lubricating crank-up tower
cables. Works great on pulleys and other moving metal parts. It stops
squeaks, removes moisture, prevents rust and penetrates the strands of the
cable. PreLube 6 contains rust inhibiting polymers in a penetrating oil to
provide a thin, transparent lubricating film against corrosion. 12 oz. spray
can. $9.50

Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the ark,
professionals built the Titanic...