[TowerTalk] Guy Anchors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchors
From: n7vm@lgcy.com (Bill Ralston)
Date: Sat May 17 08:36:40 2003
Lynn K3KYT asked what kind of guy anchors to use on a pretty hefty tower (38
sq ft windload)

David K1TTT replied do what the manufacturer says... but a concrete deadman
is usually the best kind of anchor, and further:
"It does take some professional backhoe work to do them properly
as you need a hole that is at least 4' deep and normally a minimum of
2'x4' at the bottom.  You also need the right rods, rebar, and cement to
do them properly."

I'd like to disagree that it takes a pro to do the excavation, unless you
don't have "normal soil".  I rented a small "mini trackhoe" (has about a 12"
bucket) and was able to dig my 3 anchor holes in about 4 hours.  Much of
that time was learning curve on operating the trackhoe, since it was my
first time.  The foundation for my base was a bit more challenging and I
wound up having to set forms and backfill and compact since I couldn't
manage a straight 2.5 x 2.5 x 4 feet deep hole.  The guy anchor holes are
far less exacting.

-- Bill N7VM