[TowerTalk] grounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] grounding
From: baycock@direcway.com (Bill Aycock)
Date: Wed May 21 11:21:01 2003
The only times I have had lightning damage were when my grounding had been
damaged. Once was when the telco took "their" ground loose from "my"
ground. I lost a computer that time.
W8JI has pointed out that commercial broadcast practice of proper grounding
and proper routing lets them stay on during storms and sustain tower hits
without (much) interruption..
Personally, I disconnect everything BUT the grounds and use
shorting-grounding plugs on the disconnected feeders
Bill

At 07:55 PM 5/20/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>On another reflector, a gent recommends disconnecting shack ground during
>lightning storms.
>
>This seems contrary to anything I've seen on here and, counterintuitively,
>rather naive. Thoughts?
>
>73, kelly
>ve4xt

Bill Aycock - W4BSG