[TowerTalk] Wxproofing rotator connector & Orion mast clamp

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wxproofing rotator connector & Orion mast clamp
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat May 31 09:34:15 2003
In a message dated 5/31/03 5:26:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
TNeill1648@aol.com writes:

> The best solution I have found while using 3 Orion -2800 rotators is to cut
>  the connector off the end coming out of the rotator and use wire nuts to
>  connect to the cable into the radio room.

    Good, simple solution. I use the crimp butt connector technique myself.

    Weatherproofing the large connector joint requires special handling
because of its size and transition from small wire to big connector to small
wire.
Wrap it with several layers of Scotch 33 or 88 tape; add a layer of vapor
wrap; wrap it again with several layers of tape; then paint the whole thing
with
Liquid Electrical Tape or clear acrylic spray paint to seal it. ScotchKote can
be used but it and the LET both dry out and flake off after awhile but can be
renewed periodically.

    Speaking of Orion rotators, does anyone have a cure for the mast clamp
from loosening up? I've installed a bunch of these over the years and virtually
100% of them have loosened up with the antenna/mast turning in the wind. I've
started pinning the mast which helps somewhat but it doesn't prevent the
clamps from loosening up.

    I'm pretty sure that what's happening is that the long bolts are
stretching and I don't have a cure for that. Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH