[TowerTalk] Feeding one antenna in a stack

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Feeding one antenna in a stack
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat May 31 10:53:25 2003
At 09:48 AM 5/31/03 -0400, you wrote:
>The shield has to be modeled as a wire in it's own right. It's in the
>other element's fields. If you break the shield connection at the
>relays then it's short, nonresonant and of small effect. Otherwise
>it's a wire connected to one of the same size (via the shield
>connection) on the other side, connected to the feedline to the shack,
>possibly the tower, not short, and in play.

In some instances being in the other elements' fields may not matter much,
particularly if the feedline is taped to the boom and mast, and then goes
to the bottom of the tower inside it.  What I was wondering about is the
effect of having a conductor permanently linking one side of each driven
element (regardless of how the stack is switched) to all the others, and
secondarily whether a feedline thus connected but with center conductor
floated would still appear to its driven element like an open stub, or
something entirely different.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 9 May 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm