Lightning Protection (was) [TowerTalk] Length of Mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Lightning Protection (was) [TowerTalk] Length of Mast
From: k1ttt@arrl.net (David Robbins K1TTT)
Date: Sun Jun 1 17:56:39 2003

> I also have a pretty good ground system with about eight ground
> > rods connected in a large circle that includes the house ground.  I
have
> > observed major lightning strikes on a ridge about the same height as
> > mine and about 3/4 of a mile away, but I have never been hit. Have I
> > been lucky or is the system really working?

you have been lucky.  And maybe your system is working, after all you
can't watch it 24 hours a day, and not all strokes leave visible
damage... it is possible that your good ground has worked and you were
hit with a small enough stroke that it was easily dissipated in your
ground.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net