[TowerTalk] Length of Mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Length of Mast
From: mpride@us.ibm.com (Mark Pride)
Date: Sun Jun 1 22:34:12 2003

In all this discussion regarding grounded towers and multiple grounded
yagis that appear to dissipate lightening strikes or protects better than a
single tower with few yagis.  I recently heard that the new Steppir Antenna
with its insulated (shielded) elements tend to reject the electrostatic
build up during rain/snow storms (rain static or snow static) during
intense downpours (S meters go to 20 to 40 dB over S9) wiping out the band.
Having a stack of these I would persume would not be very effective when it
comes to this lightening dissipation action found with grounded elements.
Any comments group?  At first I thought the new Steppir might be the answer
to a problem that affects us all during these storms (that tend to show up
during contests) - rain static rendering the band useless, unless you
listen on the lower antenna of a stacked array.

Regards,

Mark, K1RX

K3BU@aol.com@contesting.com on 06/01/2003 09:45:16 PM

Sent by:    towertalk-bounces@contesting.com