[TowerTalk] Rohn 45G Query

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45G Query
From: bjtatum@ev1.net (Byron Tatum)
Date: Fri Jul 11 16:08:57 2003
Hello All-
    I guess as you get older you get more particular about details, etc. As
everyone knows I plan to put my 90' Rohn 45G back up.I have the older Rohn
catalogs from the mid-80's of which I refer to a lot.
    But, just to make sure I go to the Rohn website and see that the guying
specs have really changed! Previously, down here on the gulf coast, a 90' 45G
had 3 levels of guys { every 30'} and all were 1/4" EHS. Now, they specify one
3/16" guy at 39' and one 1/4" guy at 85'. Knowing that a guy is tensioned to
10% of breaking strength means one guy will have 400# tension and the other
660#. Looking at the guy anchor rod specified means using an equalizer plate. I
wonder how you can get the tensions correct when using different size guy wires
across an equalizer plate??
    To make a long story shorter : I plan on putting my concrete guy anchors
the recommended 72' away from tower center. I plan to build the # 4A anchor as
specified, and use the heavier GAC-3455 rod {3/4"}. However, I would feel
better having a 1/4" guy every 30' using guy brackets as I have done in the
past.Is there anything wrong with continuing to guy tower at 3 levels with 1/4"
EHS??
    Hope this nit-picking is not too irritable, thanks all, Byron WA5THJ.