[TowerTalk] Antenna Stacking Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Stacking Question
From: k3lr@k3lr.com (Tim Duffy K3LR)
Date: Wed Jul 16 16:18:14 2003
Hello Jim:

The W0IYH balun uses the same physical idea for the choke, however he uses
larger and different beads to increase the effectiveness and the power handling
capability under various
impedances. Therefore, the W2DU design and the W0IYH design are VERY different.
I measured the W1JR balun and I believe the IYH design has better performance.

There are NO commercial manufactures that are making the W0IYH choke to my
knowledge. The design is 48 inches long.

I do not have my lab notebook with me here in Oklahoma, however you can take my
stamp of approval for what it is worth.
I measured choke effectiveness, resonance and power handling capability under
several load impedances in my tests.
Many baluns do live up to their claim specifications. Several did not.

I was looking for the BEST RF choke I could make or buy. The W0IYH design is
what I use in my systems. Other stations have success with other chokes/baluns.
I have measured the real world effectiveness of the IYH design in my antenna
feedlines under contest high duty cycle conditions and they live up to my
measurements in all respects.

Other baluns will work fine in most applications where the BEST is not needed.

73,
Tim K3LR