[TowerTalk] Tower tale--W6AM

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower tale--W6AM
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Wed Jul 16 22:07:00 2003
More on W6AM and his "mobile"

When my father, W1CW, was running the DXCC desk at the ARRL he went out
to CA for one of the California DX conventions - this may have been
Fresno era - think it was prior to Visalia...

Dad's favorite W6AM story was how he rode to the convention as a
passenger with Don after flying into CA one year... after a short time
in Don's car Dad mentioned to Don that the light on the dashboard was
indicating something was wrong with the engine.

Don was a salesman... Don had had the car serviced the day before... As
a salesman he was an upbeat positive guy - NOTHING COULD BE WRONG WITH
THE CAR!  On he drove....

After a few hours the car gave up the ghost...

The mechanic who had changed the oil the day prior had not properly
re-installed the oil pan plug, it fell out... the engine seized badly!

No wonder Don was such a good salesman - talk about a positive thinker!

73,

Jim, K4OJ