[TowerTalk] klm kt34a to kt34m2 upgrade

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] klm kt34a to kt34m2 upgrade
From: k6ll@juno.com (Dave Hachadorian)
Date: Tue Jul 22 11:29:34 2003
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:04:56 EDT Zeerocz@aol.com writes:
> Has anyone rebuilt the KLM KT34A to the new M2 standards, please??
> I'm gonna
> embark on this adventure and I wanna know what I'm in for.? I am
> changing all
> the boom clamps as well.
> Tnx for the input.
> Marv, K6HCJ

I have always recommended testing a KT-34 or XA by doing a
DC resistance check between the 10 and 15 meter outer
capacitor tubes. This one measurement tests every joint
in the element half. A good KLM element half will have a
resistance of less than 0.5 ohm.

Recently I helped W7WW with his new M2 KT36. The DC
resistance in the ten element halves was unmeasureable
with an ordinary DVM, indicating much better
contact on the joints.

One of these days, when the XA breaks, I'll do the
conversion. It has been up there trouble-free for 22 years
though.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA