[TowerTalk] Rotor plates

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotor plates
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Mon Jul 28 15:21:12 2003
I have used a rotor plate for a Tristao Tower for 33 years.  The plate sits
on the cross bars and has a plate on all three sides below the cross bar.  I
helped with a US Tower Installation and it seems they still use the same
concept.

The problem I have had is that even with several stacked beams, a T2X rotor,
and a W9IIX ladder mast (200 lbs by itself) that strong winds will pick up
all the beam/mast weight and place them
out of position.  This has happened twice.  I used a long crow bar to lift
the plate up and put it back in place.  I finally put a Rohn guy bar
mechanism around the plate (gives an extra 1" of protection to lifting and
turning).  This has held for 7 years.  The guy bar also hold the plate very
tightly.

I think the reasoning behind this type of plate is that attaching the plate
to side tubes (as with Rohn 25/45) would not let the tower be freely cranked
up and down.  To do so you would have to removes the clamps.

Dave K4JRB