[TowerTalk] Perim. Gnd. Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Perim. Gnd. Question
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Mon Jul 28 17:14:19 2003
Hi all:

I'm thinking about a perimeter ground to tie all my rods together and did a
bit of reading in the tower talk archives.  I learned two things:  run a 1.5
inch wide copper strap and bury it below the freeze line.  Around here I'll
have to go down 5 feet according to my city water service.  The strap will
have to cross a buried gas line and a buried a.c. line going from my house
to my garage.  I still have to call the gas company to find exactly where
the gas line is and how deep it is.  The a.c. line is about 3 feet below
grade.  The strap will cross them at right angles to them.  My question is
how much clearance should I give to the gas pipe, assuming it's not way way
deep, and power line?  The buried a.c. to the garage is 115 v. for a few
outlets and overhead light.  Judging by the old switches and juction boxes
in use I'd say the line has been there at least 40 years.  I don't know for
sure if it is in a conduit or not until I excavate and see it but what I see
at the ends makes me think it is.  Thanks es 73,

Rob
K5UJ