[TowerTalk] Broadband over Power Line Video

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Broadband over Power Line Video
From: k1ttt@arrl.net (k1ttt@arrl.net)
Date: Thu Aug 7 13:09:28 2003
that is great for long haul stuff, but the purpose of bpl is for the 'last
mile'... getting from a service point like a phone central office to the
home.  while it would be nice to run coax or fiber to the home it would be an
extra expense for the providers... with power lines going everywhere they
don't have to run extra wires on the poles or underground.

what amazes me is that they think there is enough demand for this type of
service to make it economical.  there are a couple factors in this that i
would think would make it less attractive, first many of the more populated
areas are already served by one or more broadband services, either dsl or
cable tv systems cover a good percentage of the country (by population
anyway).  i live in what i think is one of the last 2 towns in massachusettes
that doesn't have a cable tv system.  then there is the satellite internet
access that covers everything else.

and for those more lightly populated areas that don't have cable tv system or
dsl access there will be added costs of the devices to bridge the bpl past
each transformer between the injection point and the subscriber... this is not
just an automatic thing where the power company plugs in something on their
end and the subscriber can just plug in a box and have access... every
transformer along the line, including the one at the subscriber's home, has to
be bypassed to get the signal through... and then there are the distance
limits, amplifiers, probably fixing bad insulators and lightning arresters,
etc, etc, to reduce noise and get decent signals.  i have a feeling that there
is a big lobby of bpl equipment providers that is trying to drum up business
that may end up falling flat on its face.

> MCI was the first company to create agreements with the power companies
> in the USA to allow them to run fiber inside the center of the static
> wires that run along the tops of the transmission towers. Those wires
> are  hollow and provide a perfect space to run fiber.  These agreements
> gave MCI a great lead in completing it's fiber network.  The joint
> agreements also provided bandwidth to the power companies for monitoring
> the health of the power distribution networks, etc.
>
> It's a good idea that is over 20yrs old,
> dpj
>
> Chris BONDE wrote:
>
> &gt;Our local electric power company just finished putting in a new line.
It is to be
> &gt;commissioned shortly.  It is a 230kV line,  about 50km and also has a
fibre optic
> &gt;cable (for communications and control).  There are 290 poles.  The first
line was put
> &gt;in 1897 and a pole put in about that time, still in use, has a service
record of 105
> &gt;yrs.  Wooden pole were used as they have a history of good durability,
less cost
> &gt;than steel and weigh about 30% less  than steel.  Easier for the
helicopters.
> &gt;
> &gt;To me the significant point was the fibre optic line.  That is what all
the power
> &gt;companies should have to do.  Who knows they might even be able to
compete
> &gt;with the cable and telcos for long distance.
> &gt;
> &gt;Chris opr VE7HCB
> &gt;
> &gt;From:             "Kevin Hemsley" &lt;kev@ida.net&gt;
> &gt;To:               &lt;TowerTalk@contesting.com&gt;
> &gt;Date sent:        Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:28:13 -0600
> &gt;Subject:          [TowerTalk] Broadband over Power Line Video
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;&gt;The ARRL website published a story today about Broadband over Power
> &gt;&gt;Line (BPL) technology. The story includes a video clip shot by Ed
> &gt;&gt;Hare, W1RFI. The video tells a pretty ugly story without any
dialogue.
> &gt;&gt;
> &gt;&gt;http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/08/08/2/?nc=1
> &gt;&gt;
> &gt;&gt;
> &gt;&gt;Thanks,
> &gt;&gt;                Kevin.
> &gt;&gt;------------------------------------------------------
> &gt;&gt;Kevin Hemsley
> &gt;&gt;Systems Engineer
> &gt;&gt;Microserv Computer Technologies, Inc.
> &gt;&gt;kev@ida.net
> &gt;&gt;NF7J
> &gt;&gt;
> &gt;&gt;_______________________________________________
> &gt;&gt;
> &gt;&gt;See: http://www.mscomputer.com  for "Self Supporting Towers",
> &gt;&gt;"Wireless Weather Stations", and lot's more.  Call Toll Free,
> &gt;&gt;1-800-333-9041 with any questions and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.
> [...]
Weather
and ask for
Sherman, W2FLA.
> &gt;
> &gt;TowerTalk mailing list
> &gt;TowerTalk@contesting.com
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;

Weather Stations",
and lot's more.  Call Toll Free, 1-800-333-9041 with any questions and ask for
Sherman,
W2FLA.