[TowerTalk] How to align a beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How to align a beam
From: rwing@southwind.net (Randy Wing)
Date: Sat Aug 9 16:31:59 2003
Dave,

There are many ways, here is the way I did mine - I was happy with the
results. on 2m and HF:

At night, line up the antenna boom with the north star. That will get you
within the small variation between true north and the north star.  If you
don't want to climb the tower at night, go back about 100 feet (on the
ground) at night or so and sight the top of the tower with the north star.
Find a point on the OTHER side of the tower that is lined up with the tower
and the north star.  Now you have the point where you are standing (mark
it), the tower, and another point on the other side of the tower that will
be a line marking north.  The next day, line up the boom with the line.

Alternate ways:

1.  If you have a moon bounce quality antenna, look up the azimuth of the
rising moon and peak the signals bouncing off the moon.  Adjust the dial on
your rotator indicator to indicate the azimuth.

2.  Take a GPS and find north through the base of the tower and mark it off
similar to the way I did it.  You have to be moving at least a little to get
a direction.

I'm sure there are lots of others....

Randy
N0LD